San Diego Marriage License Information
- I am authorized by San Diego County to provide our couples with the California Confidential Marriage License.
- Confidential Marriage License fees are: $89 + $10 notary fee. The couple is stating that they are at least 18 yrs. of age, and have lived together.
- We always keep the California Confidential Marriage License and applications on hand for our clients. No blood test is required for this Marriage license.
- We are required to have the couple present current picture ID such as a state driver’s license, military ID, a foreign or domestic passport to provide the Marriage License. If you have only the Mexican Consular or the Electoral Card for identification, you will have go to the County office to obtain either the Public or Confidential Marriage License.
- If either the bride or groom have been previously married and there is less than 90 days between the final date of disillusionment and the new marriage, that person must present the final divorce decree.
San Diego County Marriage License Service General Information.
- A Non-Confidential Marriage License can be obtained through the County at any of the offices listed below. County office appointments are mandatory.
- Marriage License purchases should be made no more than 90 days before the wedding date. No blood test is required for either license. Always call the County offices to confirm their hours, availability, ID acceptability, and downloading options.
- The County requires a couple to present current picture ID such as a state driver’s license, military ID, a foreign or domestic passport.
- The County also accepts the Mexican Consular ID and the Electoral Card for identification. If possible bring your birth certificate.
- If either the bride or groom have been previously married and there is less than 90 days between the final date of disillusionment and the date of the new marriage, that person must present the final divorce decree.
Shades of You San Diego Wedding Services has been providing San Diego couples with their Confidential Marriage License for years and would love to provide yours as well. Call or contact us for more information
San Diego County Marriage License Information (see our FAQ section below)
Save the hassle and allow Shades of You San Diego Wedding Services to take care of you Confidential Marriage License for you!
|County Administrative Center
1600 Pacific Highway, Suite 273
San Diego, Ca. 92101-2480
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8am – 5pm
|Chula Vista Branch Office
590 Third Avenue
Chula Vista, Ca. 92929-3316
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8am – 5 pm
|El Cajon Branch Office
200 S. Magnolia Avenue
El Cajon, Ca. 92020
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8am – 5 pm
|San Marco Branch Office
141 East Carmel Street
San Marcos, Ca. 92078
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8am – 5pm
|Kearny Mesa Branch Office
9225 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, Ca. 92123-1160
Hours: Sat. 9am – 3pm (ONLY)
|Appointments are REQUIRED
at the Downtown, San Marcos and El Cajon
offices. Limited appointments are schedule
on a first come first served basis.
What will we need to do to get a marriage license?
1. You both must be at least 18 years old. If either party is under age 18, you will need to contact Juvenile Court. The number is (858) 634-1600.
2. To purchase a marriage license you must make an appointment and appear together at the office of the San Diego County Clerk and present valid and current photo identification with a completed marriage license application.
What types of identification is required?
• A current Driver’s License (no temporary or interim extensions accepted)
• A current Passport • A current Military identification card
• A current State identification card
1. Your identification must be current – if it is expired, we cannot issue the marriage license.
2. Couples applying for a marriage license must be unmarried: . If you were previously married and the dissolution is not yet final, even if it will be final before the wedding date you will not be issued a marriage license. . If you are in a State Registered Domestic Partnership (SDRP) you may not enter into a marriage or be issued a license with someone other than your registered domestic partner, unless the most recent domestic partnership has been terminated or a final judgment of dissolution or nullity has been entered. . If the dissolution was final within the past 90 days, please provide a copy of your final judgment.
Do we need to bring a witness?
1. You will not need a witness to purchase a marriage license.
2. If you are having a civil ceremony and have already purchased a public marriage license, you will need to bring at least one witness.
3. If you are having a civil ceremony and have already purchased a confidential marriage license, you will not need a witness.
Shades of You San Diego Wedding Services can easily provide San Diego couples with their Confidential Marriage License. Call or contact us for more information now!
How much does a marriage license in San Diego County cost?
1. A non-confidential marriage license is $70.00 (you will need to provide witnesses).
2. A confidential marriage license is $89.00.
How does a person change their name?
1. Questions concerning name changes should be directed to the Social Security Administration, California Department of Motor Vehicles or any other applicable agencies before applying for the marriage license.
2. The Name Equality Act of 2007 gives specific rights to parties at the time they are applying for a California marriage license to choose and list on the marriage license the new name that each party will go by after marriage. Please refer to the Name Equality Act.
What is the difference between a non-confidential record and confidential marriage license?
1. Non-confidential license: Your ceremony can take place anywhere in California, remember, if either party is under 18 years of age they must contact the Juvenile Court for approval. Emancipated minors must provide court approval before getting a marriage license. Certified copies are only available to the authorized persons. Mail in requests must have a notarized signature from an authorized requestor.
2. Confidential license: is a confidential record. The ceremony can only take place in San Diego County locations. Both parties must be at least 18 years of age and living together as a couple. Confidential licenses cannot be issued to minors. Certified copies of the marriage license can only be obtained by the married couple or by court order. Mail in requests must have the married couple’s notarized signature.
Does purchasing a marriage license make us married?
No. a ceremony must be performed after purchasing a marriage license for you to be married.
How soon can I get married after acquiring the license?
You can get married as soon as you have your marriage license.
When will my marriage license expire?
1. You must use your marriage license within 90 days.
2. You may have a civil wedding ceremony with us, or go to a chapel, church or other location instead.
When will the marriage certificate be ready to pick up?
1. A certified copy of your marriage certificate will be ready for purchase approximately two weeks from the time the license is received in our office. Please note: you now must have your request notarized.
2. A certified copy costs $15.00
Can I walk into your office and get a license and ceremony without an appointment?
No. Appointments for both marriage licenses and ceremonies are required.
How long will I have to wait?
1. You will be seen in the order of your appointment and sign in time.
2. Schedule early. There are a limited number of appointments available each day.
Do I need a blood test?
No, in California, there is no blood test requirement for marriage.
Avoid the hassle of dealing with a County Office, let Shades of You San Diego Wedding Services provide your Confidential Marriage License. Call or contact us for more information now!
I was legally married in another state/country can I get married here also?
No, you are already legally married.
Is there a residency requirement to get married in California?
No there is no California residency required .
What type of payment is accepted for a California marriage license?
Cash, checks or money order are accepted (Debit cards are also accepted with an additional service fee).
Feel free to call us at: 619-807-8537 with any other questions about your Marriage License or your San Diego area wedding plans. We’d love to talk about your San Diego area wedding plans!